After spending the day with Gigi and Great Grandpa, we came home with a bag full of mini limes. We turned to the internet for some recipe ideas and found one without butter, and that incorporated yogurt, on the Smitten Kitchen website. Last night we were able to whip this up before Simon was out of his high chair, and the result was absolutely delicious.
Here’s what you need:
1 cup yogurt (we used full fat Fage)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
zest from a couple of mini limes (or one regular lime)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 2/3 cups flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9″ round cake pan.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, oil, sugar, zest and lime juice. (At this point, Simon was more than happy to sample the beginnings of the batter, and loved it.)
3. Whisk the eggs in one by one.
4. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda to the bowl and whisk until just combined.
5. Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 35-40 minutes until it is golden brown and a cake tester in the center comes out clean.