I was recently perusing recipes I had cut out, hoping to try, and came across a recipe for a baked lamb stew, Greek style, filled with potatoes and lots of flavor. It was simple to make and tasted great. Apologies that I don’t have a photo–we ate it up too quickly but I wanted to make sure the recipe was easily accessible. I hope you like it!
Here’s what you need:
2 red onions, roughly chopped
2.75 pounds potatoes, cut into large chunks (I did small, yellow potatoes)
2.25 pounds lamb, cut into chunks
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons cumin seeds
salt and pepper
4 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup wine (or water)
For garnish: Chopped fresh basil, mint, or parsley; Feta; Lemon wedges
Here’s what you do
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a 5-quart casserole dish, combine the potatoes, onions, lamb, cumin seeds and olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
3. Place the sliced tomatoes over the top of the potato mixture. Dot the tomatoes with the butter.
4. Pour the wine (or water) around the potato mixture.
5. Cover and bake for 2 hours, tilting the pan from side to side and spooning juices over the top every hour or so.
6. Uncover, increase the temperature to 400 degrees, and bake another 45 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, and serve with garnish of your choice.