While visiting my parents this weekend, my dad whipped up a batch of his amazing rice pudding, and I felt inspired to make some at home. I read a bunch of recipes to find the right ratio of liquid to rice, and think this one hit the mark. My kids can’t get enough!
Here’s what you need:
1 cup arborio rice (sushi rice or jasmine rice should also work)
2 cups water
1 can coconut milk
Enough additional milk to get the milk volume (including the coconut milk) to 5 cups (mine ended up being about 2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup whole milk, 2 cups 2% milk)
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup apricot jam (or jam of your choice)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Optional: 1/2 cup sliced almonds; chopped up mango or juice from one mango; chopped up dried apricots
Here’s what you do:
1. Bring the water to a boil. In the meantime, thoroughly rinse the rice.
2. Add the rice to the boiling water, cover and reduce heat, and allow rice to absorb most of the water, about 7-12 minutes.
3. Add the milks, the jam, and the sugars to the rice. Increase the heat to medium-high until the milk begins to simmer. Lower the heat to maintain the simmer, keep uncovered, and stir often as the mixture thickens, about 25 minutes.
4. Turn the heat down to low and continue to cook another 10-15 minutes until the pudding really thickens.
5. Turn off the heat. Stir in the almond extract and any optional additions.
6. Allow to cool and then enjoy!