I always love a good tomato sauce, especially one you can eat on pasta or as soup. This one had a small list of ingredients, simple steps, and didn’t require anything too seasonal. We gave it a try and loved it!
Here’s what you need:
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or none if you don’t want any heat)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 cup vodka
2 28-oz cans whole, peeled tomatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
about 1 cup heavy cream, or fat-free half and half, or some combination
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In an ovenproof pan with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes (if using) and oregano, and cook for another minute. Add the vodka, and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
3. In the meantime, add the salt and black pepper to one of the cans of tomatoes. Turn off the heat, and add the two cans of tomatoes to the onion mixture. Stir to combine.
4. Cover the pan and bake in the oven for 1.5 hours. Remove and stir in the sugar.
5. Working in batches, puree the tomatoes until they are smooth and creamy. Add the cream to the tomato sauce. Stir and enjoy!