The marinade on these is so delicious! The first time, I made these with skirt steak, green bell peppers, and red onion (more or less per the original recipe from here). But, next time, I think these would be great with chicken, or with mushrooms, or all veggies (without marinating overnight).
Here’s what you need:
For the marinade:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from about 4-8 limes)
1/2 cup safflower oil (or other neutral oil)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cumin
freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
For the fajitas:
2 pounds skirt steak, cut crosswise
3 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips
1-2 red onions, cut into eighths
Heres’s what you do:
1. Make the marinade by combining the soy sauce, lime juice, oil, brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic in a gallon size ziploc bag.
2. Add the steak to the marinade bag, turn around a few times, and place in the refrigerator lying flat. Allow to marinate at least 3 hours (can leave it overnight or two). Turn the bag over occasionally.
3. When you are ready to cook the fajitas, preheat the broiler in your oven, and place the oven rack to the highest position. If you have a pizza stone, place it on the highest rack, with the sheet pan on top, while the broiler is heating. If you don’t have a pizza stone, no problem; just don’t pre-heat the pan.
4. When the oven is ready, spread the pieces on the sheet pan in a single layer and blot lightly with a paper towel. Save the marinade.
5. Place the pan in the oven, on top of the pizza stone (or, if no stone, on the top rack), and broil without flipping, about 4 minutes. (The steaks will be well charred on the top.) If you used a pizza stone, remove the steak from the oven. If not, then flip the steak and cook another 30 seconds or so. Then, remove from oven.
6. Switch the oven to 450 degrees.
7. Remove the steak from the sheet pan, and spread the bell peppers and onions on the sheet pan. Pour the marinade over them. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Do not place on the pizza stone.)
8. While the veggies are cooking, cut the steak against the grain into bite-sized pieces.
9. Once the veggies are cooked and browned, add the steak back to the pan, stir to combine, and cook 1-2 more minutes.