What’s appealing about this cake, besides the fact that it’s a moist, sweet, delicious treat? It uses ingredients readily accessible in your pantry. And my kids loved it!
Here’s what you need:
2 eggs and 1 egg white
1 cup plus two tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
5 tablespoons butter, mleted
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
zest from 3 lemons
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Here’s what you do:
1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and spray with cooking oil.
2. In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and sugar on medium-high for about 3 minutes, until they get light and fluffy. Then add the yogurt/sour cream, and mix on medium for another minute or two until fully incorporated.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the poppy seeds and lemon zest into the melted butter. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Then fold in the butter/poppy/lemon mixture.
6. Pour the batter into the pan, and bake for 55-65 minutes, until the center is set.
7. While the cake is baking, make the glaze by whisking the powdered sugar and lemon juice together.
8. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the glaze on top and spread evenly around. 30 minutes later, remove the cake from the pan. Eat warm or at room temperature.