For a slightly spicy, very satisfying tomato dish, excellent over brown rice, give this a try! Adapted from Food & Wine.
Here’s what you need:
1/2 cup olive oil
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
28-ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes
1.5 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
One bunch Tuscan kale, stemmed and chopped
Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Chunk of parmesan cheese
To top: Freshly grated parmesan cheese and thinly sliced basil
Here’s what you do:
1. Heat the olive oil in a pot over fairly low heat. Add the garlic and stir occasionally, until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes, fennel, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
3. Stir in the kale and cook over low heat, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook another 3 minutes. Add the parmesan chunk.
4. Cover the pot, and cook on low for another 25 minutes so the flavors can meld.
5. Season with salt, and top each bowl with parmesan and basil.