I have always loved tofu, but have had trouble finding a way to cook it that tasted just right. Until now. Again, based on a Sprouted Kitchen recipe, below find a recipe for tofu that is simple to make and tastes delicious. Not slimy or greasy, this recipes is a silky inside, firm outside tofu with a great flavor. The two tricks I have learned — 1) get as much water out of the tofu as possible before cooking it, and 2) bake the tofu in the oven at very high heat (this recipe calls for 500 degrees).
Here is what you will need:
1 container extra firm tofu
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons agave
1 tablespoon sesame oil
freshly ground pepper
Here is what you do:
1. Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch strips.
2. Place paper towels on a plate. Lay the tofu in a single layer on the paper towels. Cover with more paper towels, and then place another plate on top with something heavy on top of that. This will help get the water out of the tofu. After about 10 minutes, remove the paper towels on top and add new ones as the tofu will leak a lot of water. Let the tofu sit for as much time as you have, probably from 20-30 minutes, and then you are ready to cook it.
3. Heat the oven to 500 degrees.
4. Make the marinade. Mix together the soy sauce, agave, sesame oil and pepper in a wide dish.
5. Carefully roll each tofu stick in the marinade. Then place each stick on a sprayed cookie sheet in a single layer. (Don’t worry if you are distracted by my sister Ashley’s bling engagement ring, this is sort of a gratuitous shot of it anyway.)
6. Cook the tofu for 5 minutes on the first side. Open the oven, flip over the pieces, and cook for another 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and …
Enjoy! (This tofu is great with Spicy Peanut Sauce and noodles, a recipe you can find here.)
Pingback: Spicy Peanut Sauce (Over Noodles) | MAKE BETTER LEFTOVERS